If you’re a restaurant owner or manager, there’s no better way to enhance the dining experience and create a visually appealing ambiance for your guests than a well-planned tablescape. By coming up with a creative arrangement that incorporates various elements such as table linens, glassware, and centerpieces, you can create a more memorable culinary experience.
Seasonal centerpieces, especially, can be effective at creating a welcoming and memorable dining experience. Summer centerpieces, for instance, allow you to create a warm, festive atmosphere by utilizing accessories like fresh flowers, fruits, seashells—whatever you can envision that best embraces the spirit of the season!
In this article, we’ll look at three popular summer-themed tablescape ideas to help give your restaurant tables the unique atmosphere you desire. Before we dig into the various ideas for centerpieces, however, let’s first cover some general rules of thumb to follow when creating restaurant centerpieces:
Tablescaping Rules for Restaurants
- Size and Scale: When building a centerpiece, it’s important to make sure that it’s not only proportionate to the size of the table but that it also doesn’t obstruct the cross-table view or otherwise hinder the conversation.
- Theme and Concept: Your restaurant’s overall theme and concept should come into play when creating summer centerpieces. Think of the style and atmosphere that you currently have in your establishment. Is it rustic-themed? Fine dining? Modern casual? This will help you determine whether, for instance, you opt for natural elements like flowers or a more sleek, minimalistic aesthetic.
- Low Height: To ensure easy conversation across the table, be sure to avoid tall arrangements that make it challenging for diners to engage with each other. A low or medium-profile arrangement is typically advisable.
- Seasonal and Fresh: A restaurant table setting created with a summer theme in mind should seek to incorporate newly bloomed flowers or greenery in order to add a fresh, vibrant touch that’s reflective of the summer season.
- Table Space: In addition to avoiding a disproportionately large centerpiece, it’s also important to strike a balance between the available table space, being sure to leave enough space for plates, glasses, and the occasional elbow or two.
- Non-fragrant Options: The aroma of the food is a critical piece to the dining experience, and you want to ensure that if you’re using fresh flowers, the smell doesn’t overwhelm or clash with the culinary experience. Choose non-fragrant flowers or other colorful accessories if possible.
- Easy Maintenance: The last thing you want to do is create a centerpiece that requires much extra work for your staff. Opt instead for a centerpiece that is easy to maintain and doesn’t require constant attention or watering.
- Lighting Considerations: Soft LED lights in a centerpiece greatly enhance the atmosphere of a restaurant, especially if you have dim or moody lighting. Just be sure they are safe and don’t pose a fire hazard!
3 Ideas for Restaurant Centerpieces
Summer Tablescape Idea #1: Vibrant and Bohemian
Incorporating a Boho style into your summer centerpieces, with its mix of patterns, colors, and textures, brings a relaxed, eclectic aesthetic to your tablescape. Here are some tips to pull it off:
- A colorful, patterned tablecloth makes for a great foundation for a lively atmosphere
- Mix and match your restaurant chairs or dinnerware, incorporating different colors, shapes, textures, and patterns
- Utilize bold-colored cloth napkins that play off the tablecloth and dinnerware
- Small woven baskets or trays for bread or condiments bring a subtle casualness to the spread
- Try a mix of fresh flowers, candles, and decorative accessories like vintage trinkets to create the perfectly eclectic bohemian centerpiece.
Summer Tablescape Idea #2: Modern Minimalism
A modern minimalist tablescape is all about simplicity and thoughtful design, utilizing clean lines, neutral colors, and simplicity to bring a calming, ordered, and visually appealing tablescape. To get this effect try the following:
- Minimalist tableware is essential, meaning geometric shapes, simple patterns, and a neutral color palette of white, gray, or black
- Add a sleek touch by incorporating contemporary-style glassware and stainless-steel cutlery
- Summer-bloomed single-stem flowers in a clear glass vase, or small succulents in small, geometric planters, bring the season.to life
- Sublet LED strip lights or recessed lighting make great options for minimalist restaurant table setting lights.
Summer Tablescape Idea #3: Farm-to-Table Delight
Nothing says summer like a farm-to-table centerpiece arrangement. With all the wonderful country colors and the use of fresh greens and vegetables, a farm-to-table theme creates a warm, inviting atmosphere. Consider:
- Incorporating rustic tableware or accessories such as candles to make a more authentic dining experience
- Earthy and muted color palettes like soft greens, browns, and creams create a warm, comfy ambiance
- Featuring fresh herbs and raw vegetables add an organic feel to the centerpiece
As you can see, if you’re looking to create an inviting seasonal atmosphere through tablescaping, there are plenty of tablescape ideas for summer to consider. The most important thing to remember is that a table centerpiece is an extension of a restaurant’s style and uniqueness. So, if you’re a restaurant owner or manager, don’t be afraid to experiment with different themes and designs!
If you’re looking for restaurant-grade furniture or accessories to help you complete your summer centerpiece, Bistro Tables & Bases has an extensive collection of tables, chairs, and more!